Friday, October 7, 2011

Day 5: House Addition/Bean's Room


Ok now, I told myself I wouldn't get behind and then I did. I'm catching up today.

I have been almost completely consumed with our house addition lately. So much so that it is hard to focus just on baby. So I'm glad I have this 31 Days challenge to force me to take a moment and think about Baby Bean.

The house addition and the baby do in some ways go hand in hand. We love our little house and we would have outgrown it soon anyway, but with baby coming, it makes it a bit more urgent to carve out some more living space for us. Recap: me, my husband, my almost 5 year old and my 3 year old share one tiny bathroom. I always manage to hit my elbow on the door every time I walk through it. We also have 2 inside dogs. We currently have 2 bedrooms - the kiddos share the bigger room. Our "master" has a closet the size of, well, tiny.

We are making our little square house into an "L" shape adding a 2-car garage, laundry/mudroom, hallway, 3rd kid bedroom and a master bedroom and bath. It's a huge undertaking! But when we do, we do it up. We really do want to stay here forever. It's in a great location - close to family and friends, a solid house, has history (which we love) and a beautiful yard. Not to mention, it was an awesome price. It was just a little small, so we're working on that. We have no idea when it will be done (if ever, knowing me).

I've been thinking all along that Bean will eventually bunk up with big brother, Jude, but now I am rethinking. I wanted to use the extra bedroom for office space for me and a guest room, but the kids will probably want their own room as they grow older. And if we have the rooms, we might as well plan on that now. Back when we wanted to have 5 kids, I had no problem with the idea of them rooming together. Now I like the idea of them having their own space. Anyone care to share your thoughts on kids sharing rooms?

No comments:

Post a Comment